Is the Martian atmosphere in imbalance?
Planetary structure: InSight looks deep below the surface of Mars
Using the measurement data from the seismometer on board the InSight space probe, which has been on Mars since November 2018, Sizhuang Deng and Alan Levander from Rice University in Houston, Texas, were able to prove that the interior of the Red Planet is divided into several zones of different densities structured.
For this purpose, the two scientists evaluated the data from the period from February to September 2019. They analyzed more than 170 earthquake events on Mars. To do this, they used sophisticated computer programs to filter out the subtle information about the interior of Mars from the highly noisy signals. The results are now being published in the "Geophysical Research Letters".
Accordingly, Mars below the InSight landing site in Elysium Planitia consists of a crust of silicate rocks, a silicate rock mantle and a core of metallic iron. The crust is 35 kilometers thick below the probe; it is followed by the mantle of the planet, which extends to a depth of 1,520 to 1,600 kilometers. Below is the iron core, which extends to the center of Mars. A transition zone is reached at a depth of 1110 to 1170 kilometers below the surface; Below this, the silicate mineral olivine changes under the prevailing pressure and temperature conditions into the denser mineral wadsleyite. As a result, the density of the rock mantle increases by leaps and bounds without changing the chemical composition. Such a conversion is called an isochemical reaction in technical terms. This mineral transformation also takes place inside the earth, however, due to the considerably higher pressure and temperature values there, already from a depth of about 650 kilometers. This is where the transition from the upper mantle to the lower mantle takes place.
With the data from InSight it can now be seen that the internal structure of Mars corresponds to the general model conceptions of the interior of the planets. But now, for the first time, much more precise information about the actual conditions in the Red Planet is possible.
- Why would anyone want to visit Canada
- How does the Seebeck effect work in semiconductors
- What's the worst about Izmir
- What is known as Malabar Migration
- What's your way to the messenger app why
- What a dust storm it is
- Is pedophila a sexual orientation
- Why is CN more electronegative than CH3
- How can you overcome too much dreaming
- How do we repeat the same mistake
- What are some python comment hacks
- Why is France so unfriendly to small businesses?
- Is Bryn Mawr prestigious
- How do you advertise on iAds
- How would we convert methamphetamine into amphetamine
- Which anime character is your profile picture
- Is there objectivity in aesthetics
- How do I stop showing Im online
- Are pakora and bhaji the same food
- Is Cipro the best treatment for epididymis
- Can I enjoy a nature tour of Singapore
- All Sphynx cats are webbed
- Which companies use ExpressJS
- What do you like to draw?
- What are objective and subjective tests
- How can I confirm my registration
- Who is the Best Chiropractor in Chicago
- Why is the circuit breaker current asymmetrical
- What is Account Based Selling
- Why is gambling prohibited in some places?
- Who was Casanova
- What is the Code of Judaism
- How can I get bigger balls
- What do you think about the 18 year anniversary