May I give you some feedback
Giving and receiving feedbackRules and methods for feedback - with an example
The following example should make it clear when feedback has a positive and motivating effect and when feedback has a negative effect.
Example: Dissatisfied with the performance of the colleague
Ms. Bauer and Mr. Schmidt are colleagues from the software department of a company and are supposed to present a program created by you to the company management. With a good presentation, you can count on the company's management to provide funds for the further development of the program.
Mr. Schmidt appears for the presentation in a knitted sweater and jeans, which already brings the first critical looks from the company management. He is the main speaker, but obviously has little prepared his part of the presentation. The slides are listlessly written down with a lot of text, he pauses in the lecture, loses the thread and then searches for a long time in his documents until he knows how to proceed. After this presentation, the company's management refuses to invest any more money in the development of the program. And Mrs. Bauer - is angry!
Since Ms. Bauer still has other joint presentations with Mr. Schmidt ahead of her, she would like to give Mr. Schmidt feedback so that the same thing doesn't happen again at the next joint appearance.
Negative example: feedback on how to avoid it
If feedback is not given correctly, it usually has negative consequences and does not lead to the goal, as the following example shows.
Ms. Bauer is still so angry that her attempt at constructive feedback unfortunately went completely wrong:
“Schmidt, that was really the very last thing. They come in their wrecked clothes, slipped into their clothes, and then you can't even get your lecture done! Impossible! And what I always wanted to tell you: the quality of your work leaves a lot to be desired in other respects. But this time; that was really the very last thing! And I'm in there! What did you actually think? Probably nothing at all again. You'd better call in sick soon at the presentation. If I had done it alone, we would have our money now! "
Mr. Schmidt is then offended and doesn't even think about letting Mrs. Bauer teach him!
Positive example: Feedback on how you can give it
Please remember: There are always several ways to give feedback! Here's an example:
"Mr. Schmidt, your presentation last Thursday unfortunately did not bring the result we wanted. I would like to give you some feedback on this. Are you ready for it?
They were wearing a sweater and jeans. In my opinion, these are not the right clothes for such an important appointment. Your clothes made me think that this date is not very important to you.
Her slides were full of text and hard to understand. In addition, you had to search for the right documents for a long time and you often lost the thread. You seemed very unprepared to me and it was difficult for me to follow what you said. My impression was that the management also struggled to understand our concerns and our messages.
Since I would like to work successfully with you in the future, I offer you my help if you have time or other reasons that prevent you from preparing a successful presentation. How do you see the presentation now in retrospect? How do you imagine our further cooperation?
... Thank you for this interview. "
In this case, too, it is up to Mr Schmidt how he reacts to this feedback and what conclusions he draws from it. Presumably, however, he will not switch to a defensive stance, but at least think about what has been said.
The effects of the feedback also depend on how friendly the relationship between Mr. Schmidt and Ms. Bauer is so far and what the culture of cooperation in the team and in the company as a whole is.
- Can you own a pet monkey
- What is the maximum error in physics
- What is the curriculum for JAM IIT
- Which is the best incognito browser
- What color goes with a yellow saree
- How is Black History Month celebrated
- What will I see when I die?
- Why do some anxious patients avoid relaxation
- IBM Watson creates new knowledge
- Hold my anger well
- Can you make a poem about friends
- What happened in Japan after World War II
- How do I uninstall K9 Web Protection
- How good is an IQ of 210
- Is it really worth paying for financial coaching
- When do milk teeth usually fall out
- How many muscles do we use for drawing
- Which are the best headphones among 9500Rs
- Where is the capital of Bihar
- Why have the oil prices fallen?
- How do you say faster in Farsi
- Why do Caucasians hate Hispanics
- What are some ideas for electronics projects
- What are some important very short sayings
- What are the benefits of worldbuilding
- Are there any good database video lectures
- Do you have faith in people
- Why is the inbox being closed
- Converse are good running shoes
- Why is Canada so heavily in debt
- What's your favorite time killer
- Check your email
- How Much is Too Much Paracetamol
- Why is Sadiq Khan not wearing a tie?