What are some essential art house films
The mainstream of art house film
Where does the art house film come from? How do we define the term? And what does it mean for the future of cinema?
Arthouse dates from a time when the big Hollywood studios dominated the cinema. Small arthouse cinemas, so-called art houses, set up a different program as an alternative to the mainstream at the time. It mainly consisted of:
- European cinema
- Independent films
- Old film classics
So the essence of art house film is to be different from the mainstream. So it has always been a reservoir for many different currents. A non-linear narrative, for example, or a very idiosyncratic style. These include such well-known films as CITIZEN KANE, RASHOMON, ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND, ARRIVAL, DONNIE DARKO, L.A. CRASH or MEMENTO.
In the meantime, however, arthouse has long since made its way into mainstream film. That means there is one now Mainstream of art house film, which consists of the lowest common denominator. With this one can speak of a genre. In essence, it revolves around a main character who failed because of the world. Films like IXCANUL, SHAME, LOUDER THAN BOMBS, TONI ERDMANN and EMPTY are represented.
Subgenres of art house film
The Mainstream art house or art house mainstream has a few sub-genres, the best known is probably the Mumblecore be. Here we see a belated coming-of-age story. The focus is often on a man in his mid-thirties who has to emancipate himself from his childish values. Most of the time it's just a so-called slice of life with an open end - one of the reasons for this is that these films are autobiographically inspired by the life of their writer-directors, who have captured an aspect of their everyday life on the screen.
The art house film was wonderfully parodied by the Simpsons with a short film by and about the alcoholic Barney Gumble.
Arthouse film clichés
As in every genre, there are common clichés in arthouse film that need to be overturned in an original story. Here are four that come up the most:
- The film begins with a thought-provoking quote.
Often times it has little to do with the plot and is just from someone known to you.
- The main character stares into space, mostly out of the window.
Often she smokes and / or drinks alcohol.
- The main character lies on his side but cannot sleep and stares into space. Either with snoring people in the background (for comedies) or alone.
- The main character walks through a lonely area and we follow the back of her head for minutes.
Important tip for writing art house films: If you want to write in this genre, autobiographical topics are definitely obvious. In the best case, you have already overcome the corresponding problem in your life - because this is the only way to give the film a convincing ending and write a well-rounded story.
- How Hereditary is ADHD ADD
- What do programmers imagine when coding
- How do you say Luecke in French
- What are the main product benefits
- What is needed for salvation
- What is the best mobile hacking application
- Reading helps you speak
- The Hagia Sophia is still standing
- Is the IELTS test unfair
- What made you confident today
- What are the uses of oxidized metal
- What are the consequences of colonization
- What did the 14th change originally guarantee?
- Who are the kings of heavy metal
- Rhymes korean lyrics
- What are some expressions
- What's the salary of gate topper
- Can economies naturally recover from disasters?
- How are energy and the environment connected?
- Is Novak Djokovic free from doping
- Is Tommy a good English name
- What is special about Mosin Nagant from 1939
- What does selection mean in HTML
- How did you like Blade Runner 2049