All atoms have the same mass
Student info: Dalton and his atomic model
It is strange that there are so many different pure substances that when they are chemically broken down (analysis), some (relatively few) substances always remain that cannot be further broken down into other substances (→ elements).
The English teacher and naturalist John Dalton (1766 to 1844) finally provided an explanation for this fact. Dalton conducted research in a wide variety of fields and became an important pioneer of chemistry as an exact natural science.
Dalton's most important contribution to science was his atomic theory. He postulated that the atom is the smallest indivisible unit of matter. "Elements consist of the same and indivisible particles, the atoms, which are characteristic for the respective element". According to his idea, there are not any number of different atoms (Democritus), but just as many different ones as there are elements. The atoms differ in their mass and size. Different atoms can be combined with one another through synthesis and separated again through analysis. Because only certain whole atoms can be united with each other in syntheses, the substances react with each other in a ratio of constant mass proportions.
The key messages of Dalton's atomic model :
Of course, John Dalton couldn't see atoms either. His statements were model assumptions , which provided explanations for many observations. Many of his assumptions still hold up today. For example, scanning tunnel microscopes have been used to create images of atoms that show that atoms are actually spherical in shape. It is also true that atoms have a certain mass and a certain volume. It is also correct that the atoms are involved in chemical reactions
The assumption that atoms are the smallest particles and indestructible turned out to be a mistake.
task : Calculate the size (diameter) of a carbon atom.
Student info: Download [doc] [204 KB]
Student information: Download [pdf] [364 KB]
- What's the best video game mission
- You can sleep after inserting eye drops
- Should I start Olympic lifting at 55?
- Is it Safe to Eat Rare Hamburgers?
- How can I check my negative thoughts
- Which is better Sodexo or Food Card
- Are all laptops approved for gaming?
- Are yamaha speakers good
- How do you deal with depression
- What is 2 2x7 11x6
- What cries Im god
- What is the shelf life of wine
- What is another word as strong as absolute
- What is the best farming business
- Is the Unity engine free
- How does Tyrion Lannister deal with fear
- What is a physically healthy person
- What are some tips for the summer run
- Weightlifting is bad for your brain
- How is hydrogen stable without a neutron
- Which is the best app for Photoshop
- What's the best app for TOEFL
- Which factors determine the low quality of life?
- How identity theft can affect you