What gender is the devil
Three old women beat the devil
Three old women hold the devil with their hands and feet, two of them hit him with boards. Demonic figures watch the devil's misfortune in horror or even gleefully. Around his right wrist lies a banner with the request "GIB FRID"; he should stop sexually harassing women.
The devil is composed of different parts of the body of human and animal nature. Head, back, tail and claws are like a dragon. The joints are designed as birds of prey heads. It also has sex characteristics developed as animal heads, the female breasts resemble falcon heads. The male sex is shaped like a boar's head. The realistic background conveys current presence rather than superstitious fiction. In the 16th century it was believed that the devil could meet man directly. It was assumed that women would succumb to the mortal sin of lust more easily than men. Hopfer describes the victory over lust and the devil in a grotesque and amusing way.
Material / Technique
Sheet size: 23 x 15.8 cm; Plate size: 22.5 x 15.3 cm
- Kuder, Ulrich (Ed.) (2004): The human mind is changeable, prints from the Dürer period. Kiel ( KVK)
Usage and citation
Rights for the images are shown below the large images (which are accessible by clicking on the smaller images). If nothing different is mentioned there the same regulation as for textual information applies.
Any commercial usage of text or image demands communication with the museum.
- What app is required to access Python
- How do I become an LVN online
- Does the police issue an AMBER alarm for young people
- Why is Messi fighting to get penalties
- What is SQL Server DBA 20
- Is cooked pickled herring
- Successful people really share their techniques
- Is Chase Banking really worth the hype
- Why should you move to Greece
- What is the disadvantage of a house
- Why does anorexia nervosa soothe me
- What happens to shallow groundwater
- Why is raw sewage a health risk
- What is more important career or peace
- America is for white empires
- Have you ever succeeded in changing someone?
- What is Nikola Tesla important for
- Why do inmates call correction officers screws
- How was Tai Chi founded
- If 2x 3 3x what is x
- Are mutagens less dangerous than carcinogens
- Is Triax a good mountain bike
- When will an INTP speak
- Professional developers use great text
- The world will have no more people
- Is the laser treatment reliable?
- Difficult to use the Amazon ecommerce platform
- What is the secret behind the Apple logo
- How exactly can a tornado be predicted?
- Is Titanic 2 real or made of a fan
- Is Cubase better than Mixcraft
- Why do you love FC Barcelona
- Is Darko Grand a good rap name