When is a building considered tall?
A high-rise is a particularly tall building. There are different opinions and rules as to when a house becomes a high-rise. In Germany, for example, you have to observe certain regulations when building if there is at least one room in the house that is more than 22 meters above the ground. Others say that a skyscraper must be at least 30 meters high. That corresponds to about 12 floors.
Towers, on the other hand, are also very tall structures, but they usually don't have apartments. Many people live or work in the skyscraper. There is a separate name for particularly tall buildings: skyscrapers. To do this, the house must be at least 150 meters high.
The tallest house in the world is in the United Arab Emirates in the city of Dubai: The Burj Khalifa is 828 meters high. It is very unusual. The vast majority of high-rise buildings in the world are much lower. Because the higher the skyscraper, the more difficult it is to build and use the house.
How long have you been building high-rise buildings?
People have been able to build tall for a long time. An example from ancient times is the Colosseum in Rome and an example from the Middle Ages is the Cologne Cathedral. There have also been high-rise buildings in the modern sense. But most people didn't want apartments or shops high up. To do this, they would have had to climb many stairs.
It wasn't necessary to build that high either. But in the years after 1850 there were more and more people in the cities. It was worth building higher because then more people could live on one property.
Certain inventions were also important. For example, an elevator was developed at the time that would not simply fall into the depths in an accident. You also learned to use steel and concrete to build a kind of skeleton of the house. The weight of the house then no longer rested on the outer surface, but on the skeleton inside.
Why not build higher buildings?
If you want to build a particularly tall house, you have to pay attention to many things and also know the rules for doing so. States have drawn up these rules so that there are fewer accidents or even houses collapsing. In addition, high-rise buildings must not sway too much back and forth in strong winds.
For example, the builders have to plan escape routes in the event of a fire. Otherwise the residents would not be able to leave the skyscraper quickly enough and safely. The number of elevators must also be sufficient. In addition, special elevators are needed for the fire brigade. All of this is complex and expensive.
The higher the skyscraper, the more expensive it will be. At some point it is no longer worth it for the owner. Nevertheless, particularly tall houses are still being built today, especially in Asia. People no longer do this because they can earn a lot of money with it, but because they are proud of their tall buildings.
One of the first skyscrapers in Germany: The Narva House in Berlin from 1909 is 63 meters high.
DC Tower 1 in Vienna: at 220 meters, the tallest building in Austria
At 168 meters, the tallest skyscraper in Switzerland: the Roche Tower in Basel.
These skyscrapers in Prague were painted to make them look a little prettier.
There are also other search results for “Skyscraper” from Blinde Kuh and Ask Finn.
- What is medical deportation
- Can you help me with my homework
- Are there still HeLa cells
- How do anti-tetanus serum injections work
- Are people honest by default?
- What was Moody Blues' most successful song
- Has discontinued Quora A2A
- What is cloud based software
- What is adiabatic and isothermal change
- When do you capitalize on Congress
- How common are false rape reports?
- Where can I take French 3 online
- Where was the series Our Girl filmed
- What is lacquerware
- How old will I live to be
- Are Cornish British
- What is harmful plastic or polyethylene
- How often do waves of feminism occur
- What's wrong with the Mardaani 2 movie
- What is learned from film and television
- Why do we immerse Ganesh idols
- Are perfumes authentic on Amazon
- What is an advice for Aking Biochemistry
- Should I use Bitdefender Password Manager?
- How was your ICSE brand sheet
- Exercise may cause a mild fever
- Too much skepticism is bad
- Man would have survived without dogs
- Who has access to my email account
- Which is harder zinc or aluminum
- How does Edmodo make money
- What was your best moment for quick reflection
- How can I sell globally
- Are there mountain lions in the Adirondacks