How do I get a fiance visa

Visa for marriage in Germany

Do you want to get married in Germany or enter into a same-sex partnership?

Then the fiancé living in Germany must first apply to a German registry office for an appointment to enter into a marriage or civil partnership.
The fiancé living abroad then applies for a national marriage visa at the German diplomatic mission abroad.

The following evidence is particularly important for the application for the visa:

  • a written confirmation of the date for marriage or entering into a civil partnership
  • basic German language skills
  • Copy of the residence permit and the national passport of the foreign fiancé living in Germany, for a German fiancé a copy of the German passport or identity card

Depending on the individual case, further documents can be requested.

The diplomatic mission takes the visa application and sends it to us if the fiancé lives in Berlin. We then invite the fiancé in writing. The following documents in particular can be requested for the appointment:

  • Certificate of unmarried status
  • if a marriage has already existed before, submission of the divorce decree with final notice

Depending on the individual case, further documents can be requested.

After completing the examination process, we give our opinion to the diplomatic mission abroad.
The diplomatic mission abroad is then responsible for further processing and the decision on the visa application.