Frequent hangnails indicate a vitamin deficiency
If the cuticle tears and fragments of skin form, it is called a rivet nail. Read here how this happens - and why you are not allowed to pull it out.
Some just find them unaesthetic, others even feel pain as a result: we're talking about rivet nails. This term from cosmetics is usually associated with a lateral tear in the cuticle fold of a finger. They arise when the fingernail grows out.
Rivet nails: This is how it is made - and why you should never pull it out
What many do not know, however, is that it has grown together with the skin of the finger. But only up to a certain point. So, as the fingernail continues to grow out, it will gradually peel off the skin. However, if the nail pulls them along, Cracks develop in the cornea and thus small, hard scraps of skin that stick out between the nail and the skin fold.
They often come to the fore when the cuticles are particularly dry and brittle. However, people who often bite their nails due to stress or nervousness often suffer from rivet nails. Who elseoften washes his hands, whose cuticles are constantly being softened and so more and more sensitive in the long run. He also takes care of that frequent contact with cleaning productsthat contain aggressive cleaning surfactants.
Read here: Brittle nails? These home remedies really help against splintering.
Not only does this look neglected, but in some cases it can even cause pain for those affected. So that it doesn't get that far, it is therefore advisable not only to properly prevent rivet nails, but also to treat them accordingly. To get rid of them quickly, some eventually nibble them off or even pull them out. However, you should better refrain from this - otherwise it may be that bacteria penetrate the resulting wound and inflame the nail or nail bed.
Find out here: Is your nail bed inflamed? These seven home remedies will ease the pain.
How to prevent and remove a rivet nail
Instead, it is advisable to declare war on rivet nails preventively by you Gently push back the cuticles several times a week. This works best with a rosewood stick or a rubber cuticle pusher. The latter is particularly recommended for sensitive nails. Be careful, however, or you will damage the cuticles, which in turn can lead to inflammation. This also applies to a cuticle pusher made of stainless steel. With this, the cuticle can not only be carefully pushed back, but also residues can be removed from the nail plate.
Interesting too: Do you have this strip on your fingernail? Then it can be dangerous.
However, if, contrary to expectations, the cuticle cannot be pushed back, it is advisable to soak your hands in warm water for a few minutes beforehand allow. Instead, you can also use a special nail care stick or a rich hand cream. This has the nice side effect that your hands are cared for and feel delicate at the same time.
It also makes sense to carefully remove protruding scraps of skin. But instead of "nibbling" or using sharp scissors, you should use what is known as a Cuticle nippers to grab. With this you carefully snap off the rivet nails that are too likely to get stuck on sweaters and the like. If you are not confident enough to do this, you can alternatively stick a plaster over the rivet nail and wait for it to grow out.
Read here: These home remedies put an end to yellow toenails.
The nail has caught fire: these home remedies will help
However, if a rivet nail is already inflamed, the skin folds usually get hot, red and swell up. Then it is advisable to put a cooling bag on the affected area or to smear the rivet nail with a special cream from the pharmacy. Alternatively, you can Dab on herbal home remedies such as a tincture of marigold and / or tea tree oilto relieve inflammation.
also read: These home remedies will help relieve an ingrown toenail.
Interesting too: Vitamin deficiency or the thyroid? This is what grooves in fingernails really mean.
List of rubric lists: © Instagram / bigsnakenate (screenshot)
- What tourism is best to visit Gangtok
- How is the call quality from Skype
- Where can I buy condoms
- How do I filter using a text field
- Did Count Olaf like the Baudelaires
- Will adrenal fatigue cause a headache
- What is the eBay Protection Plan
- Why do Russians like authoritarian rule
- How do you look after weak students
- What made the solar system rotate
- Regret being a womanizer
- How do animals affect the climate?
- Which continent is the Congo
- Where should I study biotechnology
- Will studying SAP improve my career
- What was the last Byzantine Greek raid
- Do you ever get over your business?
- How to care for lavender indoors
- Is webmatrix good for website development
- Why is WTI cheaper than Brent Crude
- How does the dark network actually work
- Like the functional principle of the impact crusher
- Which is the largest unit of energy
- Likes Jungkook kids
- Why is polycarbonate so strong
- How to say style in mandarin
- How to calculate tan34
- Mentally tough people feel tough themselves
- Which sport offers the best body structure
- What is the cutoff for YOU
- How are direct current generators used
- Should press spokeswoman Sarah Sanders resign
- Which documents are required for JIPMER
- Are you happy as a pharmacy technician