What do you think of public nudity
Interview with Jeff Jarvis : "Be naked? What's in it? "
Mr. Jarvis, last year you spoke at a conference in Berlin about “the German paradox”, about Germans' concerns about privacy on the one hand and the comparatively open physical culture on the other. Then you invited the audience to the sauna. Did someone come?
Yes, three guys came. We had a good chat, two blogged about it.
Didn't you feel strange?
No, although we Americans are ridiculously prudish.
How do Americans go to the sauna?
Wrapped up like sausages. Hermetically sealed. Germans have a much more mature relationship with their bodies.
Her subject is the new forms of publicity on the Internet. Doesn't the comparison between Facebook and a sauna fail?
I'll admit that the sauna was a cheap joke. But I learned something from it: There are also cultural reasons for dealing with the public differently. Since then I have been wondering whether we are just witnessing the emergence of our own Internet culture from the public.
In your new book “Public Parts” you have devoted an entire chapter to the Germans.
The reaction to how the Internet questions privacy is much more violent in Germany than almost everywhere else. At a time when entire branches of the economy are based on publicity, I wonder whether the German psyche is ready for it and whether this has an impact on where Germany stands in the future digital economy. We have to protect the public in Germany.
Why do you think that?
I was concerned about the Google Street View debate. Consumer Protection Minister Ilse Aigner urged German citizens to petition Google to stop taking photos of houses. What if this pressure was also put on journalists? Or let's assume that I'm a painter and I'm painting a picture of a pretty house, do I need a permit? And by whom? From the owner, from the architect?
The Germans were less concerned with not seeing their house on the net. Above all, many wanted to be asked.
But the houses were already public! We have to stick to principles. What is public must remain public.
Google and Facebook also use data that is private, Data that we feed into your social networks.
In the analog world, we are very sensitive to how public which information is. If you, Anna, and I are talking in the hallway and you, Sylvia, come along and Anna changes the subject, I understand that this is not a good subject for Sylvia and I won't insist on it. Now we need to figure out how to implement these mechanisms online. I see data protection as ethics: the ethics of knowing how to handle someone else's information. Does Facebook have to adhere to this ethic? In any case.
In your opinion, what is the advantage if we are all more public?
We'd have an incredibly large amount of data to analyze. For example, if you found that all women in a neighborhood had breast cancer, you could investigate whether something is wrong with the tap water. When you make it public that you have a problem, you can find people to support you and you can help each other.
Page 2: What does Jeff Jarvis' wife think about his public.
- What is damasceneing
- How many names does your cat have
- How are the internships at ISB Hyderabad
- Where is the best honeymoon destination
- Singing birds in unison
- Believe in Islamic Mythology
- What are the objectives of internal control
- Arthur Fleck killed his therapist
- What are different approaches to psychology
- How can I get tested in programming?
- Which is the best AIIMS or AFMC
- What are an alternative to Mac Pro
- How would you describe Hillary Clinton
- What is a photo concept
- Do banks abuse the American people?
- What do Pakistanis not understand?
- How to sell equipment
- Can we simulate tetrachromism?
- Where does the lotion go
- How are open and closed ecosystems alike
- Pak Punjab is bigger than Indian Punjab
- Doctors give themselves vaccines
- What happens when a language disappears
- What are relaxing songs or melodies
- Who shouldn't go to a grocery bank
- What does it mean to slip into their DMs
- Where to jump on cliffs in Maui
- Buddhism is a satanic cult by proxy
- Why is dispersion important
- What is currently happening politically in Tunisia
- Is Utkal University good for pharmacy?
- What kind of leaders does the world need
- How many animals are now considered intelligent