What does an ESWS pin mean
EC: That's why we have to enter the PIN and then sign it when paying by card
Paying with the EC card in the supermarket has long since become a matter of course. Even the smallest amounts can now be paid with “plastic money”. The card only needs to be inserted into the reader and the transaction confirmed with a PIN or signature. But what does it actually depend on whether the PIN has to be entered or signed?
The difference between the two payment methods lies in their security for the merchant. The variant with signature (also offline payment or SEPA-ELV) is an electronic direct debit. There is no payment guarantee for the retailer here. If the customer's account is not sufficiently covered at the time of collection, the merchant will not receive any money. The customer can also object to the debit and reverse the direct debit.
PIN means payment guarantee for merchants
The variant with PIN entry (online payment or EMV payment), on the other hand, is much more sophisticated. As soon as the card has been inserted into the reader and the PIN entered, an encrypted request is sent to the server of the customer's bank. It is checked whether the amount can really be paid, i.e. whether the account has sufficient funds. If everything is checked, the money is immediately withdrawn from the account. The dealer thus has a payment guarantee, for which, however, he also has to pay a fee (the so-called dealer fee).
The PIN variant is therefore more secure for retailers, but also more expensive, which is why it can always vary whether we strain our gray cells or have to pull out the pen.#Subjects
- Are psychopaths more rational
- How was your travel experience in Ottawa
- Which charting program do professional traders use
- What is improvisation in music
- Why do Morkies bark a lot
- Is Novak Djokovic free from doping
- Atheists worship their existence
- Will 1Password ever support YubiKey
- Why are we still using hard drives
- Is game design a major
- Is Planchet real
- Why do people call me garbage
- Why is the morning breath so bad
- How do food allergies work
- How does augmented reality sound
- Owns Tencent WeChat
- Did Michael Jackson ever go to Walmart?
- Can a person intentionally drown himself
- What are the names of these French artists' huts
- What do people do when they sleep?
- What is water-resistant fat
- What is the strongest fiber
- Why it always tastes salt
- Where can I sell a cradle