How to make a space 2
How can I insert a non-breaking space in Word?
Typography knows different types of spaces. The most important are the single space, the non-breaking space, and the narrow space. This article shows you how to create a fixed spacing in Microsoft Word and when it is required.
The non-breaking space
The purpose of the non-breaking space is to prevent a line break in certain places. Among other things, it should include:
- Abbreviations (e.g., among others)
- Names and titles (Dr. Chris Wolf)
- Units (13 cm)
- Legal information (§ 25, §§ 13-25)
- Money information ($ 16, EUR 24.95)
- typographically structured numbers (25,000 euros)
- before ellipses (point, point, point ...)
- occasionally also with phrases, trademarks, etc. (Mac OS)
- before dashes (before dashes - if possible - there is a protected space.)
It also acts as a fixed spacing - so it ensures that abbreviations and the like in justified not torn too far apart.
b. an ugly line break.
That's the way it is
z. B. already better.
You create the non-breaking space in Microsoft Word by using CTRL + SHIFT + SPACEBAR press, in Mac OS you usually create it system-wide with ALT + SPACEBAR. You can generate it across programs in Windows by choosing ALT + 0160 Press (on the numeric keypad).
To see where such a space was inserted in Word, click on ¶ and display invisible control characters. The protected space is now always displayed with º (e.g., º).
|character||Cross-program generation||Generation of Word|
|non-breaking space||ALT + 0160 (numeric keypad)||CTRL + SHIFT + SPACEBAR (Windows)|
ALT + SPACEBAR (Mac OS)
|narrow non-breaking space||–||create your own keyboard shortcut (2009)|
Pro tip: Narrow non-breaking space
In abbreviations such as “z. B. "or to structure numbers like" 100 000 "the single non-breaking space is sometimes too wide. That is why there is still the narrow protected space. Unfortunately, not all fonts support it yet; with a little trick you can still make it available in Word for Windows.
To do this, go to Insert - Symbol. Now select “Palatino Linotype” for “Font”, for “From” click on “Unicode (hex)” and for character code enter “2009” or scroll down to character 2009. You can now use this narrow protected space assign a key combination. I recommend CTRL + ALT + SPACE.
Now you can also insert a small non-breaking space in your text.
- Are all fermented beverages alcoholic?
- How does the income relate to the capital raised?
- Genius is a conscious choice
- Stress aggravates rheumatism or arthritis
- How safe is Nagpur Maharashtra
- Are British and Irish genetically the same
- Is Google Hangouts HIPAA compliant
- What is meant by bowel movements
- What are the steps involved in rice processing
- What is parchment paper
- What is Scottsdale AZ known for
- What are the best personal portfolio website
- Why did you start a career in theater
- What are the database credentials of a web application
- What are the admission criteria for the NIMCET exam
- What is meant by negative free energy
- Does the CPU speed affect the battery life
- What are the different strategic alternatives
- What is multiplexing in networking
- Why did you switch to Project Fi
- What are the best portable water filters
- What is space on a chess board
- Peru is a great place to visit
- What is the HSG test for pregnancy
- Why isn't Microsoft giving up on Bing
- How to make artificial sand
- Are Juul cigarettes refillable?
- Can become a PharmD surgeon
- May women angry men
- Who owns mobile apps
- What are the uses of oxidized metal
- Who is the strongest athlete
- Which alcohol makes you unconscious?