What's in an egg?
The egg - one of the most valuable foods
High quality source of protein.
For many of us, eggs have become an integral part of our daily diet. Both as a "hidden" ingredient in certain foods (e.g. pasta, crêpes) and as a meal (e.g. omelette, flans), they are an important part of a wholesome diet. The egg is also very important in pâtisserie. Due to the high protein content (high biological value), eggs can be combined very well with other protein-rich foods. There are good alternatives for people who want to forego eggs in their diet. Soy flour, rice flour or half a ripe banana (cake baking) can partially replace the addition of eggs (binding property).
The chicken egg is made up of: 74% water, 13% Protein, 11% fat as well as 1% each carbohydrates and Minerals. An egg of 60 grams has the energy value of 96 kcal (402 kJ). It contains all the essential amino acids and all vitamins except vitamin C.. It is a good source of iron, vitamins A, B2, B12 and D, and folic acid.
The egg yolk is particularly valuable or rich and has a high protein content (higher than the egg white). Fat, cholesterol and vitamin A are only present in the yolk.
Further information can be found at: www.sge-ssn.ch.
Good to know
- Eggshell color ... is related to the breed of the chicken and not to the way of keeping or feeding.
- Yolk color ... is influenced by the choice of feed.
- Green border around the yolk ... is caused by too high a temperature or too long cooking.
- storage ... 18-20 days after the laying date without refrigeration, after which eggs must be stored in a cool place.
Tips for everything to do with eggs
- Use room temperature eggs when cooking. If the eggs are cool and come straight from the refrigerator, the shells will burst more quickly.
- Use 7-14 day old eggs. They are easier to peel than freshly laid eggs and damage is less common.
- If an egg has already burst, simply add a dash of vinegar or oil to the saucepan. Then the egg does not run out completely.
- Eggs are hard-boiled in about 9 minutes. If the eggs are cold, the cooking time will be extended by approx. 3 minutes.
- Make sure the shell is as smooth as possible if you want to color the eggs. This means that fewer cracks occur.
- Without quenching after cooking, the eggs can be kept for 1 month without any problems. This only applies to colored eggs (with food coloring). The paint seals porous areas of the eggshell. Cooked but uncolored eggs do not have a long shelf life.
- Damaged eggs should be consumed as quickly as possible.
The freshness test
- Shake test. If you don't hear anything when you shake an egg, it is fresh. However, if you hear a slight sloshing, the egg is older.
- Impact test. If the yolk is surrounded by a solid ring of protein, which is held together and arched up, the egg is fresh. If the yolk is flat and the egg white runs apart in a watery manner, the egg is a bit older.
- Salt water test. The older the egg, the higher it swims (solution 1 l water / 100 g salt).
The symbol of Easter
Colorful eggs for Easter. Why actually?
During Lent (Ash Wednesday to Good Friday) in the Middle Ages, eggs were not allowed to be eaten in addition to meat, sausage and many other foods. The eggs from the last week of fasting were therefore collected and stored. Since there was no refrigerator in the Middle Ages, the eggs were boiled to keep them longer. In order to distinguish the old eggs from the fresh ones, the boiled eggs were colored. The joy of a delicious egg after Lent was of course all the greater. The traditional egg dyeing has remained to this day and especially makes children's eyes shine when they go on the big egg hunt at Easter.
Sandwich with avocado and egg
Do you still need a delicious recipe for Easter? Our sandwich with avocado and egg provides you with the energy you need for the big egg hunt.
See for yourself - you can also find the recipe with video instructions on our YouTube channel “Cooking with Nahrin”.
To the recipe
Broth with egg
A quick starter recipe: bouillon with egg. Is prepared in no time and tastes delicious.
To the recipe
Easter omelette recipe
A Spanish chorizo tomato omelette is the perfect family recipe. Quickly prepared, few ingredients and super tasty.
To the recipe
- LED lighting is cheaper than fluorescent lighting
- What happens if the dough is kneaded under
- What is special about dark matter
- How does GrooveBook make money
- Internet speed can be too fast
- What are the achievements of artificial intelligence
- How many lawsuits have you filed?
- The frequency of thunderstorms increases
- Celebrities can practice law
- How does LinkedIn help people
- What are some useful Sketch 3 plugins
- Trump signs a paper without reading it
- What is SSIS with examples
- What's the silent letter in the corridor
- Can replace Kohli MSD
- What is cell division
- Is online shopping better than offline
- Who is Shreya Ghoshal
- You can consume too much fructose
- What do you find sexually attractive?
- Which is best online shopping for vegetables
- What's your rating of Naya Raipur
- What is Android Oreo
- What is JD in an application
- Can I follow my anonymous question anonymously?
- Deliver UPS USPS packages
- What is perceived value
- Counts auto sex as sex in public
- What is a catabolic reaction
- How are the internships at ISB Hyderabad
- What is section 80c and 80ccc
- How are software tests carried out at Google