How do philosophers research
New Emmy Noether group:1.18 million euros for philosophical research
Photo: UHH / Sukhina
Dr. Richard Woodward from the Philosophical Seminar of the University of Hamburg has been accepted into the Emmy Noether Program of the German Research Foundation (DFG) and will receive just under 1.18 million euros to set up a junior research group on the subject of "Ontology according to Quine: Fictionalism and Fundamentality". The Emmy Noether Program of the DFG supports outstanding young scientists in order to qualify them for further scientific management tasks.
In the new research group, four young scientists will have the opportunity to work together with German and international colleagues in the field of metaphysics. The group will also work closely with the Center for Metaphysics and Mind at the University of Leeds / Great Britain.
The research team led by Dr. Woodward will deal with questions about reality and its perception, with a focus on the work of the American philosopher and logician Willard Van Orman Quine (1908-2000). In addition, it wants to examine and classify the philosophical currents that deal critically with Quine's theories.
Above all, Quine had a decisive influence on American philosophy. He is considered an important representative of analytical philosophy and philosophical naturalism. The focus of his research on ontology (a discipline of theoretical philosophy that deals with being and existence) was the question of what “reality” actually is and to what extent the way we speak and think determines how we perceive reality.
Dr. Before moving to the University of Hamburg, Richard Woodward worked for three years at the Juan de la Cierva research center of the LOGOS research group at the University of Barcelona in Spain. Prior to that, he worked as a lecturer at Cambridge University and as a researcher at Leeds University in the UK. In 2007 he was a postdoctoral fellow at the renowned UK Analysis Trust.
Press release as PDF
- Increases the uptake of cholesterol from food and serum cholesterol
- Which parts of Ireland actually get snow
- Is tinder popular in Hawaii
- What is the future of Idea Telecom
- Is ironwood a hardwood
- How do I start in life
- Is Harry Potter stronger than Lord Voldemort
- How should I learn German
- How do wealth-based loans work
- Should I create a separate YouTube channel
- How do I sell depression
- What are the best product analysis solutions
- What do nerve agents affect
- Which band sang the song Mississippi Queen
- How can we end the war?
- How can I download saved data
- What is the function of the centrifuge
- What is the atomic number of potassium
- How many Sig figs has 000,000
- What is a true soul mate
- What does Kita mean in Japanese
- How did Hinduism begin in Bhutan
- Why is my toe red
- What happened when Andrew Johnson was president