How is flexible graphite made
From pencils and diamonds - everything to do with the versatile material graphite
Structure and properties of graphite
Graphite has a layer structure. In each layer, each carbon atom is bound to three others. This results in a two-dimensional network of hexagons. There are strong bonds within each layer, but the bonds between the different layers are very weak. In this way the layers can easily be shifted against each other and even separated. For this reason graphite is very soft and is therefore even used as a lubricant. However, graphite has other special properties:
Electrical conductivity of graphite
The fact that graphite is electrically conductive results from its atomic structure. Each carbon atom in a graphite crystal has four valence electrons, also called outer electrons, which can form bonds with neighboring atoms. However, only three of the four valence electrons form a bond, the fourth electron remains freely movable and thus enables electricity to be conducted.
Thermal conductivity of graphite
Graphite has excellent thermal conductivity and high temperature resistance at the same time. Graphite has no melting point, so that graphite changes directly from the solid to the gaseous state. This process is called sublimation. In a protective gas atmosphere, graphite becomes plastically deformable from a temperature of 2500 ° C. At temperatures of more than 3750 ° C, graphite sublimates even without the presence of oxygen.
Chemical resistance of graphite
Graphite is one of the most chemically resistant materials. It is resistant to almost all organic chemistry media. These typically include intermediate and / or end products in the petrochemical industry, coal processing, the plastics industry, the production of varnishes, paints, refrigerants and antifreeze, but also in the cosmetics and food industries.
Graphite is also resistant to most inorganic media, for example to non-oxidizing acids, alkalis, aqueous salt solutions and most technical gases.
Download: Chemical resistance of natural graphite
- What gives you value and purpose
- How should I use mobikwik
- What is SF180 Keto
- Who invented the hieroglyphics
- How does the FEA calculate the stress
- How could LinkedIn be disrupted in 2016?
- What are the basic basics of SEO
- How fit can you be at 40?
- How is a permanent magnet magnetized
- What is the best treatment for dyscalculia
- What are the stages of the pink eye
- Britain leaves the euro zone
- Nurses have affairs with doctors
- Why are there no FI circuit breakers for 220 V circuits?
- Banks care about their customers
- Can I make music my career
- How is a depressed ESTJ
- How would you uninstall a key logger?
- How did Harry get the Philosopher's Stone
- Does anyone actually like call centers
- Why are go boards so expensive
- What are the customs of the Chileans
- How much of the story is bias
- What's wrong with my homepage