What is the strongest fiber
The strongest fiber in the world
For a long time the silk of the spider was considered to be the strongest material on earth. Then the limpet came and showed it its teeth. As a result, the spider had to step back from its first place: The limpets tooth turned out to be the most solid biomaterial known to date. The researchers compared the strength of the teeth with fibers stuck in bulletproof vests. Scientists have now produced a superlative yarn from cellulose nanofibers. Will the flora trump the wildlife?
The research team led by the Swedish scientist Daniel Söderberg from the Royal Technical University (KTH) Stockholm, together with the research institute RISE Bioeconomy, Stanford University and the University of Michigan, developed a super fiber that is eight times stiffer and 20 percent stronger than spider silk. This basically consists of fibrils, the basis of plants and wood, which are joined together with the help of a particle accelerator. Hyperdynamic focusing is the name of the special technology with which the masterpiece of producing what is probably the strongest fiber in the world to date was achieved.
When comparing fibers, tensile strength and flexural rigidity are decisive values. The new yarn in it surpasses steel, metals and fiberglass, as well as most other synthetic materials. Söderberg sees the strong biomaterial as an environmentally friendly alternative to plastics in cars, furniture and airplanes. An application in the biomedical field is also conceivable, since cellulose is not rejected by the body and thus opens up new application possibilities in prosthetics. Another plus point: The production costs of fabrics made from cellulose nanofibers are competitive with the production costs of synthetic fabrics. A new world record - and exciting prospects for the future.
#Innovation #Yarns #Sustainability #Spider Silk #Stockholm #Sweden
Illustration: DESY / Eberhard Reimann
For more information, see:
- Fully convolution networks are not fully connected
- What helped Rome to invent?
- How is that Uttarashada Nakshatra
- How does GrooveBook make money
- What languages are written in Cyrillic script
- Are all beliefs of equal value
- What is a deposit
- What has neuroscience learned about Buddhism
- Why is Trump so mentally confused
- Is pedophila a sexual orientation
- Are pets allowed on BART
- IBM Watson creates new knowledge
- Are dentist clients called clients or patients
- Is there a tablet with a phone
- Is communism practical as an economic model
- What does the word focus really mean?
- Why should we buy from Fiverr
- Are there jaguars in Mexico
- What about family reunions
- What is five thirty
- What are the future aircraft engine technologies
- Are Filipino workers in Japan underestimated?
- Why don't you like your neighbor
- What is the purpose of ControllerAdvice in spring
- Where can you buy dilators
- Which forces are involved in the seepage?
- Sure is a 529 plan
- Do dogs know their place
- What are the classifications of information
- How many copyright laws are there
- Does SAFI affect pregnancy
- What does the staircase function do in Matlab
- What is a controversial GOP convention